Turkey Bolognese with spaghetti is the ultimate comfort food for me. My mum made a beef version for me when I was little and I loved it. Every birthday she would cook my favourite meal and this was it.
The turkey mince is a great substitute for the beef mince, if you still want meat, but with less saturated fat.
- Great source of protein, which helps with weight loss, as you feel fuller.
- Loaded with B Vitamins, which give you energy.
- Contains Selenium, which helps boost the immune system and helps protect cells and tissues.
- Contains Phosphorous, for strong bones and teeth.
- May help to lower cholesterol.
- The orange colour is from beta cerotene, which converts to Vitamin A in our bodies.
- May help improve eyesight in dim light. You never see a rabbit wearing glasses!!
- Rich in Selenium, which help boost your immune system.
- Vitamin D.
Onion and Garlic:
- Contain prebiotics, which are beneficial to gut health. If your gut is healthy, then it lays great foundations for your overall health.
- Antibacterial and antiviral.
- May help boost immune system.
- High in fibre, so supports healthy digestion.
- Rich in B Vitamins to give you energy.
What Goes Well With This?
- Add crumbled feta to the top. It will add an extra saltiness and goes well in tomato based dishes
- A splash of Worcestershire Sauce is always a welcome accompaniment to add a little extra kick.
- A vegetable stock cube added to the spaghetti cooking water adds more flavour
- Transfer the spaghetti to the Bolognese pan, letting some spaghetti cooking water go with it. This starchy water will help thicken the Bolognese further, as you mix the two together for a few minutes before serving.
- 500 g Turkey Thigh Mince
- 1 Onion
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Carrots
- 100 g Button Mushrooms
- 2 tsp Dried Mixed Herbs
- Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Yeast Extract (optional)
- 200 ml Chicken Stock
- 400 g Tinned Tomatoes
- 300 g Dried Wholewheat Spaghetti
- Chop the Onion, crush the Garlic, wipe and slice the Button Mushrooms and peel and grate the Carrots.
- Dry fry the Turkey Thigh Mince in a large saute or frying pan until browned (you may need to get rid of excess water with a ladle).
- Add the Onion and Garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the Mushrooms and Carrots and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the Mixed Herbs.
- Make the Chicken Stock and add the Yeast Extract (if using) to the stock and mix well.
- Add the Stock to the Mince.
- Add the Tinned Tomatoes to the Mince.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes
- Cook the Wholewheat Spaghetti according to packet instructions.
- Add the cooked Spaghetti and Black Pepper to the Mince and mix well until the Mince is ready and the sauce is reduced enough.
- Serve with a sprinkling of feta (not included in the nutrition for this recipe).