This Sunshine Rice happened as a result of my toddler son not being willing to eat Brown Rice, or any rice.
I looked through my kitchen cupboards to try and find something that could give it a bit of va va voom, as far as a toddler was concerned, and there it was. Turmeric. Who doesn’t love a bit of bright sunshine in their life?
Ever since then he loves his rice and we still call it Sunshine Rice, even though he’s well past the toddler stage.
- Low in fat, rich in fibre.
- Contains B Vitamins and Folic Acid.
- Rinse the rice before or after cooking. If after, use a kettle with freshly boiled water to rinse after the rice has been drained of its cooking water.
- Make sure it’s Wholewheat or Wholegrain Rice.
- 100 g Wholegrain Rice
- 1 tbsp Ground Turmeric
- Add the rice to a saucepan and sprinkle the Turmeric evenly over it.
- Add about 8 cups of boiling water from the kettle (most have this marked on the side of the kettle).
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Use a fork to check the rice is soft.
- Drain the rice in a fine sieve.
- Boil a full kettle of water and rinse the rice in the sieve.
- Once the rice has been drained of the freshly boiled water it is ready to serve.