Thinking of throwing out all the flesh from your pumpkin after carving it? Think again. Why not make your own Pumpkin Puree?
The flesh can be made into a puree, which can be used in meals and baking to add a sweet flavour. No more searching on supermarket shelves for cans of Pumpkin Puree.
This is so easy to do. Who knew? Try making Pumpkin Macaroni Cheese with it.
The puree should keep in the fridge for a few days.
- 1 Pumpkin
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 4 or 180C.
- Make cuts all over the pumpkin.
- Place on a baking tray in the middle of the oven for an hour, turning it round halfway.
- Remove from the oven and slice in two. If the flesh does not feel soft enough, place the two halves back in the oven for 10 minutes at a time, until it is done.
- When it is cooked, allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Remove the seeds and stringy bits.
- Scoop only the flesh into a food processor.
- Process the flesh until you achieve a puree.
- This recipe produced 530g of puree from a 2.8kg pumpkin.