Thinking of throwing out all the flesh from your pumpkin after carving it? Think again. Why not make your own Pumpkin Puree?
The flesh can be made into a puree, which can be used in meals and baking to add a sweet flavour. No more searching on supermarket shelves for cans of Pumpkin Puree.
- High in Beta-Carotene.
- Try making Pumpkin Macaroni Cheese with it.
- The puree can be kept in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- 1 Pumpkin
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 4 or 180C.
- Make cuts all over the Pumpkin.
- Place on a baking tray in the middle of the oven for an hour, turning it round halfway.
- Remove from the oven and slice in two. If the flesh does not feel soft enough, place the two halves back in the oven for 10 minutes at a time, until it is done.
- When it is cooked, allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Remove the seeds and stringy bits.
- Scoop only the flesh into a food processor.
- Process the flesh until you achieve a puree.
- This recipe produced 530g of puree from a 2.8kg Pumpkin.