This page may contain affiliate links. Please see Affiliate Disclaimer
Chilli Con Carne warms you through on a cold winter’s evening. It has a wonderful marriage of flavours with Ground Cumin, Chilli Flakes and Garlic.
What Goes Well With This?
My Sunshine Rice recipe complements it well and adds an extra splash of colour on the plate. We eat with our eyes first, plus the extra anti-inflammatory health benefits of the turmeric in the rice are an added bonus.
You could also serve with garlic bread, but that would increase the calories quite significantly. However, everything in moderation, it would be fine now and again.
Is turkey mince better than beef mince?
It is usually lower in fat and cheaper than beef mince. I use Turkey Thigh Mince in this recipe, as it has a similar colour and texture to beef mince and a stronger flavour than the lighter turkey breast mince.
Can I store it in the fridge?
Yes. Cool it before transferring to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 2 days. Heat it thoroughly in a pan.
Should you rinse canned kidney beans?
I always think it’s best to, especially if they are stored in brine. Try to get ones stored in water, as they may not require as much rinsing.
The liquid shouldn’t be toxic and some recipes may suggest using it for thickening sauces. Even when stored in water in the can the liquid still looks murky and you are best rinsing them.
Can I freeze it?
Yes. Cool it and transfer to an airtight container(s) in portion sizes you are likely to want it in. Defrost the frozen Chilli Con Carne in the fridge and heat in a pan until piping hot, or heat from frozen in a pan, until piping hot. It does actually taste even better the next day.
Chilli Con Carne
- Chop 1 Onion, 1 Red Pepper, 1 Yellow Pepper, 8 Closed Cup Mushrooms and crush 4 Garlic Cloves.
- Heat 1 tbsp Olive Oil in a large Saute or Frying Pan.
- Add 500g Turkey Mince and cook until browned. Remove any excess water the Turkey Mince produces with a spoon.
- Add the Onion and Garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the Peppers and Mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle 1 Chicken Stock Cube over the mixture and cook until the Chicken Stock Cube dissolves.
- Add 1 400g Tinned Tomatoes, 1 tsp Cumin and 1 tsp Chilli Flakes.
- Bring to the boil and add 1 tsp Yeast Extract and 1 tsp Honey. Cook until they are combined well in the mixture.
- Simmer for 10 minutes then add 1 400g tin of Kidney Beans.
- Continue simmering for another 10 minutes, until the liquid is reduced, so that it just coats the Turkey Mince and vegetables.